Open or download the short form of Barrie’s résumé in Microsoft Word here.
Midland Microcomputers Limited
1982 – current
Senior Project Manager
1981 – 1982
Digital Equipment Co.
1980 – 1981
Senior Software Specialist
Digital Equipment Co.
1977 – 1980
Systems & Programming Manager
R. M. Douglas Construction Limited
1972 – 1977
Senior Systems Specialist
Chrysler U.K. Limited
1970 – 1972
Senior Systems Analyst
Ansells Brewery Limited
1967 – 1970
Programmer / Analyst
1964 – 1967
B.Sc. Mathematics & Statistics (University of Birmingham, England), 1970 – 1972
8 O-Levels, 3 A-Levels, 2 S-Levels, State Scholarship
Mr. Gray offers an unusual blend of information systems expertise combined with a very comprehensive technical knowledge and excellent report-writing skills. He has in-depth experience in information systems consulting, project management, systems and programming management on mainframes (15 years) as well as over 30 years technical experience with mini- and micro- computers (PC LANs and Windows 95/98/NT/XP/2K/2003/XP/7 being particular foci). Mr. Gray is currently president of his own company specializing in information systems consulting and the application of Microsoft and Internet/Intranet technology to federal and commercial business. Recent work includes the design and prototype development of a new, object-oriented paradigm, Interaction Profiling, for simplified Business Process Management (BPM) . As an application development approach, Interaction Profiling does not involve hard-coding of any validation or business processing logic. Once the first, comprehensive Interaction Profiling framework is constructed or acquired, it can be re-used with minimal changes for all future applications. Based on the prototype, it is estimated that the new paradigm will halve development times and costs for all subsequent systems. Further details can be reviewed in more depth on Mr. Gray’s 12-post blog series. He also has an overview article on BPM.com. The URL for that is http://bit.ly/1GJbQT8. Because of security issues on the BPM.com site, this link cannot be opened from MS Word directly. Please cut and paste it into your browser. There is also a link to it on Midland Microcomputers’ web site, MidlandMicro.com.
Other projects include a comprehensive Case Tracking / Investigation Management solution design, development and implementation using SharePoint Portal Server and Windows SharePoint Services, plus Visual Studio .Net, VB.NET, C#.Net, ASP.NET, other SharePoint web-facing applications, client-server, web-based and Agile / RAD (Rapid Application Development) applications on LAN and WAN (Windows, SQL Server, Oracle) platforms. Mr. Gray has had numerous technical articles published on OOP (Object-Oriented Programming), development tools (Visual Basic.Net, C#, Access and C++) and Windows NT/2000 in the national trade magazine, Computing Canada.
During the last 30 years in the consulting arena, Mr. Gray has completed numerous technical and non-technical projects for organizations such as Public Safety (PSC), Commission for Public Complaints against the RCMP (CPC), Stentor, Statistics Canada,SHL Inc. (as a client), the National Research Council (NRC), The Ottawa Heart Institute and the Departments of Justice, Transport, Public Works, Defence, Heritage, Health Canada, PSC, HRDC and the Privy Council Office.Mr. Gray was typically entirely responsible for project management, requirements, functional and technical design, development, testing, conversion and implementation:
- Design, specification and prototype development of InteractionProfiling, a new, object-oriented paradigm for simplified Business Process Management (BPM) – see Profile Summary above. Jul 2013 – Current
- Technical consultant on a large, web-facing, Multi-Agency SharePoint 2010 portal for Federal Emergency Operations Centres (50 Departments), C#, .Net, SQL 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2, SharePoint 2010 – Sep 2012 – Jul 2013.
- System Architect on a large, national security screening system for a major PSC agency (top secret). Visual Studio 2003/2005/2008/2010, VB.Net, C#, SQL Server 2000/2005/2008, XML, XSLT, XPath. MS SharePoint and xRM feasibility and prototype. October 2006 – September 2011
- System Architect / Developer of a SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Complaints Management System (CMS) for a PSEPC Agency.Technology includes Windows Server 2003 with Active Directory, Windows SharePoint Services, SharePoint Portal Server 2003, ASP.Net, VB.Net, C#.Net, Web Parts, ADO.Net, SQL Server 2000, IIS 6.0 April 2005 – April 2008
- Requirements, Design, Development, implementation and support of a browser-based Ministerial Opportunities Tracking System for PSEPC. VB. NET, ASP.NET, ADO.NET, SQL Server 2000 with full-text indexing and search capabilities. Feb. 2003 – May 2004
- Conversion of a large Cobol batch system to VB.Net for a major Security agency within PSC. June, 2004 –March 2005
- Requirements, Design, Development, implementation and support of a browser-based Interim Manual Data-entry System (IMDS) for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.The system is implemented using VB. NET, ASP.NET, ADO.NET and Oracle 9i. Jan. 2004 – June 2004
- Design, Development, implementation, support of enhancements to a browser-based Crisis Management System (CMS) for Transport Canada.The Windows Service component is implemented using VB. NET and Oracle 9i, the ASP components use VBScript and Oracle. Jan. 2004 – April 2004
- Requirements, design, development, implementation and support of two Case Tracking Systems with document generation productivity features, for the Commission for Public Complaints against the RCMP and the Office of the Correctional Investigator, using VBA, ADO, SQL Server 2000, Office 2000 OLE automation. Two separate, related subsystems are included, developed in VB.NET / ADO.NET and SQL Server 2000. Sep 2001 – current
- National Procurement Management System (NPMS) user requirements definition (Rational Rose) through to implementation and on-going support for ADM MAT Branch, DND.The system is also interfaced to the FMAS SAP system.July 2000 –October 2003
- Visual Basic 3 to Visual Basic 6 conversion work for HRDC, including mainframe connectivity Jan 2001 – Apr 2001 and Nov 2002 – Jan 2003
- Business Management System (BMS) Business Planning, Performance Management using Access 97 / Office 97 / VB6 / SQL Server 7.0. BMS is compatible with the Enhanced Management Framework for IT and the SAP/R3 Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) product.User Requirements (Rational Rose), Analysis, Design, DevelopmentOct 1997 – Jan 2001 (part-time) and DND DGISDS and VCDS Dec 1996 – Jun 1999
- Patient Status System developed in Visual Basic 6 and Oracle 8I Lite using database replication technology and a central Oracle 8i database for the Ottawa Heart Institute (ACES FT).The system uses a dual-purpose ActiveX DLL and Visual Basic add-in designed and developed by Midland Microcomputers, which distills the best practices for application bilingualisation, into one dll and a small VB code module.
Dec 2000 – Apr 2001
- Several ACCESS / VISUAL BASIC / SQL SERVER and INTRANET applications for Justice Canada (Customer Relations Management (CRM), Commitment Control, Financial Forecasting and Reporting, Question Period Briefing Notes, Travel Expert System, Training Records) using MS Access, VB3/VB4, SQL Server 4.21a, 6.0, 6.5 and ASP and VBScript technology – User Requirements Definition, Design and Development of all applications. This work package included YEAR 2000 Compliancy sub-projects and SAP / IFMS interfaces. May 1993 – Jan 1997
- Numerous technical articles published in Canada ’s premier, national computer magazine, Computing Canada – OOP technology, Windows NT/2000,OOP development, Microsoft Access 1990 – 2000 (14 articles in all)
- Project Manager for a CD ROM / Folio Views product (Justice Text Workbench) including the Statutes and Regulations of Canada (GTECH gold award nominee) – the first ever public issue of a CD ROM by the Department of Justice.Requirements Definition, Feasibility, Detailed Design, Development and Implementation (C, VB3, Access 2.0, SGML, Folio Views) May 1993 – May 1994+
- Configuration Status Accounting System developed using ORACLE / VAX VMS for DND (CF18 Project). Mr. Gray was the system architect. Aug 1983 – Jun 1985
- Long Range System Plan for the Solicitor General Ministry Secretariat, evaluating over 40 systems, designing 13 integrated MIS systems in 1983
- User Requirements study for Health Canada Medical Services Branch, conceptually designing an 11-system MIS. Also design and implementation of a number of resource control systems for Health Canada and the Department of the Solicitor General. Aug 1981 – Aug 1983.
- Benchmarks, presentations, demonstrations, installations, performance tuning and training courses on VAX and DECsystem20 computers.
- Internals level support to VMS and TOPS20 users.
- Design study for the application of minicomputers to thermal insulation assembly around the cores of four advanced gas-cooled reactors (AGCR’s).
- Sales and account management to VAX and DECsystem20 customers in the educational marketplace.
R. M. Douglas Construction (IBM 360 Clone, COBOL batch, commercial systems)
- Systems and programming management (Deputy DPM).
- General commercial applications (accounts payable/receivable, general ledger, invoicing, payroll etc.).
- On-line Inventory Control.
- Technical construction industry applications (Earthworks, Co-ordinate Geometry, Pert/Precedence etc.).
Chrysler U. K. (IBM Mainframe, OS/MVT II COBOL)
- Order processing/back-order processing.
- Parts Supply Analysis and Inventory Control.
- General File Interrogation.
Ansells Brewery (ICL Mainframe COBOL)
- Order Processing, Invoicing, Stock Control.
- Sales Ledger.
Herbert-BSA Machine Tools Ltd. (IBM 360 Mainframe Cobol)
- Order processing.
- Accounts Payable.
- Sales Analysis.
- MRP (Materials Requirements Planning).
- Production Control.
- Finished Goods Stock Control.
Intel 8086/8087/8088/80×86, DEC VAX 6200/6400/8700/8650/785. AMD, DEC MicroVAX 3000 series and μVAX II, IBM 360/370/3090, DECsystem20, ALTOS
VB.NET, C#.Net, ASP.NET, SharePoint Web Parts, Visual Basic 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0, XML, XSD, XSLT, XPATH, Oracle/IAF/IAG/PL-SQL/SQL+/RPT/SQL*FORMS, Microsoft Access 1.1, 2.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 and 2002, 2003, 2007/10, Cold Fusion, Java script, Java, HTML, XML, C (Microsoft C/C++/C#.Net, Turbo C, VAX C), SQL (Microsoft Transact-SQL, ORACLE PL/SQL, Gupta SQLBase), SQLWINDOWS (GUPTA), COBOL (VAX and Mainframe – IBM, ICL), JCL, Powerhouse (Cognos), ALLIN1 Scripts/FMS named data, Datatrieve, Fortran, Pascal, DCL, Macro-32 Assembler, 8086/80×86/6502 Assembler
WINDOWS 3.x, WFW 3.11, Win 95/98, XP, 7, 8, Windows NT 3.x, 4.0, 2000, 2005, 2008 R2, TOPS20, UNIX / LINUX, VAX/VMS (cluster v 5.0+), VAX/VMS (1.7 through 5.4-1), MicroVMS, OS MFTII / VM/MVS / DOS
.NET Framework, VS.NET, ASP.NET, ADO.NET, SharePoint Portal Server 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, Microsoft xRM, SQL Server 4.21a, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 2000/5/8, ORACLE 8i, 9i, Enterprise Architect, Visio, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Access, Adobe Photoshop, ImageReady, Netscape Composer, Cold Fusion Server, Homesite 4.x, Starbase (Interbase), RDB/VMS, SQLBase, CICS/DB2, POWERHOUSE, ALLIN1, Datatrieve, DBMS-20, SPM (VAX performance monitor), FMS, RMS-32, SAS, SPSS, PC software, all sorts – MS Office 4.3, 97, 2000/3/7/10, Adobe Photoshop, ImageReady, Netscape Composer, Homesite, Cold Fusion Studio, Robohelp, Rational Rose, Business Process Modelling, ERWIN SQL diagramming, Visual Modeller Component Design, Excelerator, LBMS, VISIO, MS Project, Artemis, Wordperfect, Lotus, xBASE languages, Communications packages, utilities etc.
Mr. Gray and the Midland Microcomputers Limited facility are both cleared to SECRET through PWGSC. Mr. Gray also is currently cleared to Top Secret through PWGSC.